Building collapse in Lagos: US-based real estate agent Bob-Oseni under the rubble was returning to the US. The structure of the day has collapsed
US-based real estate agent Wale Bob-Oseni was among the victims of a building collapse on Monday in Ikoyi, Lagos.
According to reports, Oseni had gone to visit his friend, Femi Osibona, in the ill-fated 21-story apartment building on Gerrard Road, Ikoyi before the unfortunate incident.
AFP reports that Osi was on his way to the United States on Monday when he received a call from Osibona to check on the ongoing developments.
Oseni’s sister, Damilola Otunla, who spoke to the news agency, remained at the site and watched for three days for her brother who was said to have been inside the skyscraper when he s ‘collapsed.
When she heard news of the disaster on Monday, she immediately rushed to the scene from her home in Ogun state.
Wearing the same gray hoodie, black shorts and flip flops since Monday, Damilola looked sad with blank eyes as she remembered how her much older brother acted like a father.
“He took me as his own daughter,” she added.
She was angry at the slow pace of the daily rescue efforts, which had not started by 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
“It’s like they’ve already made up their minds,” she said.
Other family members were also at the scene.
Bob-Oseni lived in Maryland, America, but had been home for a few months and was visiting a friend working on the construction site, his family said.
In one video, a man believed to be the victim’s driver was seen crying, saying he had to take his boss to Lagos airport.
He said, “He was heading for America. I want to drop him off at the airport.
On Wednesday morning, two more bodies were removed from the rubble of the collapsed building, bringing the death toll to 22, the National Emergency Management Agency revealed.
SaharaReporters previously reported on Thursday that as many as 36 people had been confirmed dead at the site of the 21-story building that collapsed on Monday.
Rescue and relief evacuated nine living people from the rubble of the collapsed building.
Survivors included eight men and one woman, while the fatalities included three women and 33 men.
The 21-story building was still under construction when it collapsed on Monday in the upscale Ikoyi neighborhood in Nigeria’s commercial capital.
Meanwhile, the governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, ordered the creation of an independent panel to investigate the disaster.
Membership will be drawn from the Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA), the Nigerian Institute of Planners (NITP), the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) and other professional bodies.
The committee will investigate the distant and immediate causes of the incident and make recommendations on how to prevent future events.
“The investigation is not part of the internal investigation already carried out by the government,” Information Commissioner Gbenga Omotoso said in a statement.
Sanwo-Olu also pledged to bring those responsible for the disaster to justice.
The governor also ordered that the director general of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Gbolahan Oki, an architect, be immediately suspended from his duties.
Lagos Deputy Governor Dr Obafemi Hamzat, who visited the site under tight security, said the premises of the collapsed building had been sealed off by the government testing agency for further investigation into integrity. of the structure.