Options available to protest a lower property tax rate

An Edinburgh resident said he felt he had no option to pay his new property tax rate at the Hidalgo County Assessment District.

In 2011, Saul Garcia said he paid $500. Now he will pay nearly $3,000 more than that.

However, if you are unhappy with your new tax rate, you can quickly protest online or in person and ask them to lower your rate.

Anthony Longoria – real estate agent in McAllen – recommends that you contact a real estate agent to get more information about your property and compare it with your neighbors.

You can also contact a professional appraiser, although they may charge you a percentage of the amount the county will eventually return to you.

You can also apply for multiple exemptions. These include:

– homestead exemption if you live in the property you own
– inherited residence
– people over 65 or disabled
– disabled veteran, surviving spouse
– surviving spouse of first responders killed in the line of duty

Some experts say property values ​​are rising rapidly across the country due to strong demand for homes, but not enough is left on the market.

More information on property tax exemptions can be found online.

For property tax exemptions, click on the corresponding department.

-Cameron County
-Hidalgo County
-Starr County
– Willacy County

Penny D. Jackson