Tax collector: the deadline for the full payment of the property tax is approaching
The taxman—or in this case, the taxman—comes. Tax Collector Annmarie Seddio wants you to know that your final tax payment for 2022 is due by May 31. Unless you paid your tax bill in full at the start of the year, you must make your second payment by that date.
In the past few years, you have probably received a “courtesy tax reminder notice”, but this practice has ended.
Nevertheless, Mrs. Seddio would like to let it be known that you have less than four weeks left before the deadline.
Shelter Island accepts several payment methods.
• You can pay by e-check for an additional $1.75 fee or by credit card for a 2.45% service charge.
• You can choose to pay over the phone with a live agent by calling 1-888-877-0450.
• Mail your payment to Annmarie Seddio, Collector of Taxes, PO Box 1854, 38 North Ferry Road, Shelter Island, NY 11964-1854. Make sure your payment is postmarked by May 31 to avoid late fees.
• Deposit your payment in the black drop box at the main entrance to the Assessor/Tax Collector’s office. This office is adjacent to the town hall.
• Pay in person by check, cash or money order at the office. Note that a $20 fee will be charged if a check is not cleared by your bank.
If you paid half of your tax bill by the January deadline, you should have a payment stub.
Please include payment stub(s) with your payout and include your phone number.
Payments not received by May 31 should be sent to Suffolk County Comptroller, 330 Center Drive, Riverhead, New York 11901-3311 or by phone at 631-852-3000. These late payments are subject to a penalty of 5% on the total unpaid taxes and to interest at the rate of 1% per month or part of a month.